In this issue of our Open Markets Newsletter we report that, as market dominance continues to grow, politicians are getting more involved.
• Sir Nick Clegg has joined Facebook. We wish him well and highlight some of the challenging issues he will need to tackle
• In the US, politicians are becoming increasingly vocal in the monopoly debate
• Oligopoly has reached the fund management market where just three giant fund managers now control 15% or the S&P 500 giving them outsized influence on 1,000 US corporations
• A new ILSR report outlines the issues of monopoly in the US broadband market where many customers in effect have zero choice of provider
• Stephen Hilton puts forward the view that ‘predatory pricing’ has moved on from the textbook definition of selling below cost to giving services away ‘for free’.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.