- Many criticise calls for further action by competition authorities as being anti-business.
- In this newsletter we argue that nothing could be further from the truth. Competition policy is one of the few important tools we have to preserve a functioning market system
- Large and small businesses are both important for a properly functioning economy and neither can thrive in monopolistic markets
- Idle competition authorities are destroying the market system
- A new book by Thomas Philippon argues that America seems to have given up on the free market by allowing excessive concentration
- There is no difference between the market concentration seen in the EU and the US
- The four big accountancy firms now take 100% of the FTSE 100 audit market
- A new report from the Economic Roundtable in California lists the environmental harms arising from Amazon’s home delivery model
- It fails to compare these harms with the alternative – deliveries to multiple individual shops and consumers having to take trips to city centres or out-of-town malls for every purchase
- It makes one wonder whether this is serious analysis or another knee-jerk anti-Amazon rant
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.