The West’s relationship with China is one of the defining issues of the 21st century. For governments and for business.
This online event is named after an upcoming book by Sir Vince Cable “The China Conundrum: Engagement or Economic War” to be published in the Autumn.
Our distinguished panel will examine the current state of affairs, the options for how to engage with China and the political temperature around all the different options.
- The latest Covid developments and the international recovery
- The ongoing treatment of the Uyghurs and the fall out
- China’s behaviour towards Hong Kong and Taiwan
- The impact of the new US Presidency and climate change
- Can Europe, the US, the UK and other democracies respond to China with one voice?
What is the role of international business in China relations?
Can business realistically keep out of the political fray and continue to see China simply as a promising growth market?
Arising from our discussion we hope to begin to identify some principles for future work following on from our paper: China: Friend, Foe or Both?