Click here to view the video of this event
FinTech’s promise is that of disruptive digital technology that will democratise finance, increase competition, and better align the financial system with broader societal goals.
FinTech could change the power dynamics between the owners of capital, citizens, and the public and private intermediaries that deploy those funds. Digital finance can be an important catalyst to make more rapid progress towards the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
FinTech is also seen as the competitive answer to the economic problem of a highly concentrated banking market.
This online event brings together experts and practitioners in digital finance to explore the tangible progress that financial digitization has made towards achieving its promise and to explore how public policy initiatives can further accelerate movement in the desired direction.
We will explore the following questions:
- To what extent will developments in digital finance live up to the promise?
- What are the characteristics of digital finance that lead to enhanced social value in a way that the traditional finance market cannot?
- What is the relationship between digital finance and traditional green finance or social finance initiatives?
- What are appropriate metrics to judge whether individual digital finance initiatives create social value?
- What public policy initiatives can accelerate the social contribution of digital finance specifically as opposed to the general contribution of finance to social goals?