How to handle the sovereign debt accumulated during the Covid-19 pandemic is both an economic and a political issue.
In this event we will examine both the politics and the economics of the growing sovereign debt:
- Are debt levels a significant problem for a country with a sovereign reserve currency and its own central bank?
- Are maintaining government support and investing for growth greater priorities than worrying about debt levels?
- Should inflation tick up, does fiscal policy offer a better response than increased interest rates?
- What are the politics of bringing down debt through higher taxes or lower government spending vs investing for growth to meet the promised leveling up agenda?
- How does the Conservative government/party balance its image for ‘fiscal responsibility’ with delivering on its political promises?